Rugby player, 27, dies on pitch after suffering cardiac arrest during match

A RUGBY player died on the pitch after going into cardiac arrest on the pitch.

Arturas Rudy, 27, had been playing a match with Wisbech RUFC yesterday when tragedy struck.


Arturas Rudy, 27, has died
His rugby club has paid tribute


His rugby club has paid tribute
He passed awaywhile playing for Wisbech Rugby Club against Diss


He passed awaywhile playing for Wisbech Rugby Club against Diss

Arturas Rudys’ partner, Jolita Kiseliovaite, posted that he ‘just passed away’ while playing against Diss.

Launching a GoFundMe page to support her, she said “Hello all! My name is Jolita. I’m a girlfriend of Arturas Rudys (25.12.1995).

“We have been together four years, also we have a little child – Emilijus. He is only two years old.

“My partner just passed away on the rugby competition in Wisbech.

“It’s been very quickly and like in a dream. Person from another team while running, hurt Arturas chest or neck, after this he didn’t get up.

“It’s very very hard time for us right now.. I can’t give up, I have to live and show the right path to our child.

“I have never asked for money yet, but I want to reach out to you and ask for help. Thank you all.”

Within a few hours the GoFundMe has already raised over £4,300.

Jolita also included a Lithuanian translation for her appeal.

Emergency services were called to Wisbech Rugby Club’s Chapel Road ground in Cambridgeshire yesterday/Saturday afternoon, East of England Ambulance Service (EEAST) said.

They said a player had suffered a cardiac arrest during the match.

It is believed he had just been involved in a tackle.

Responders carried out CPR and used a defibrillator but he could not be resuscitated.

An EEAST spokesperson said “Our thoughts are with their family and friends at this tragic time.”

Two ambulances, police, the air ambulance and the fire service were called to the scene.

The match between Wisbech and Diss in the Counties 1 – Eastern Counties league was abandoned.

Flowers have been left at Wisbech Rugby Club today.

David Dobson, the Wisbech club secretary, said “The club is deeply saddened by the events of yesterday.

“We are grateful for the support of the local community and the wider rugby community and also for the expertise of the emergency services who came to help.”

The incident has triggered an outpouring of grief and support from rugby clubs across the east of England.

Roger Pierson, from the Eastern Counties Rugby Union, said there had been a collision but that no head contact had been involved.

He said two of the Diss players who were medically qualified immediately went to the aid of the injured man but that he died on the pitch.

Mr Pierson described the tackle as a ‘rugby incident’ and said everything was being done to support all the players involved.

“The RFU and the Injured Players’ Foundation are already involved and that help will be offered to Wisbech and also to Diss rugby” he said.

A further statement is expected from the Rugby Football Union.

Source link

Leave a Comment